St. Patricks Trail
Frank O’Meara (1853-88), an internationally famous nineteenth-century impressionist artist is buried in St. Mary’s Catholic Church which dates from the 1860s. His tomb is designed after the medieval doorway at Killeshin.
Frank spent his early years in Dublin Street, Carlow where his father Dr. Thomas J. O’ Meara was medical officer and honorary professor of animal [...]
Bishop Daniel Delany Museum
During the early years of the nineteenth century, Daniel Delany, Bishop of Kildare and Leighlin, saw education as a pathway to a fuller and better life for all. To progress his vision he founded the Brigidine Sisters in 1807 and the Patrician Brothers in 1808. He also founded the present Catholic Church of the Holy Rosary. The church [...]
Catholic Church of the Holy Rosary
During the early years of the nineteenth century, Daniel Delany, Bishop of Kildare and Leighlin, saw education as a pathway to a fuller and better life for all. To progress his vision he founded the Brigidine Sisters in 1807 and the Patrician Brothers in 1808. He also founded the present Catholic Church of the Holy Rosary. [...]
Church of Ireland church
Church of Ireland church Evidence of three different churches can be found on thesite at Lorum. The nineteenth-century seven-bay church stands on elevated ground in astriking setting about 3.5 km from the River Barrow. It was built about 1838 to the designof Frederick Darley who also designed the gate piers which reflect [...]
Killeshin Catholic Church
Killeshin Catholic Church was built in 819-20 to the design of Thomas Cobden. It is a modest but spacious building in stone and brick with Gothic windows and polygonal turrets on each corner.
11. Romanesque Doorway
St. Patrick introduced Christianity into Ireland in the fifth century and heralded a golden age of Christianity which produced a rich heritage of architecture and ecclesiastical art. Killeshin was the site of an early monastic settlement associated with saints Diarmait and Comgán. St. Mugen who was abbot here in the sixth century is [...]
Church of Ireland church
Tullow was a location of ecclesiastical importance from at least the late fifth century when a monastery was founded by St. Fortiarnán (Fortchern). No traces of this remain although the large granite cross base and font in the churchyard of the present St. Columba’s Church of Ireland church may have been associated with the early [...]
St. Fintan’s Catholic Church
The early nineteenth-century St. Fintan’s Catholic Church is a fine example of a spacious ‘barn- style’ building. Features of note include the marble altar which was presented to the church by Cardinal Moran (see page 31).
To the left of the church, in the carpark, can be seen the tiny schoolhouse where John Conwill, a local [...]
14. St. Joseph’s Catholic Church, built in 1819, contains the striking stained glass window to the memory of Captain Myles Keogh who was born in Leighlinbridge in 1840 and was killed at the battle of the Little Big Horn in 1876.
Keogh went to America in the 1860s to fight with the Union side in the [...]
ST. PATRICK’S TRAIL:
ST. LASERIAN’S TRAIL:
ST. MOLING’S TRAIL: