3-7. Carlow’s churches
With the building of the Anglo-Norman castle in the first decades of the thirteenth century, Carlow grew into an important medieval town and its parish church may have stood on the site now occupied by St. Mary’s Church of Ireland. The present building dates from the early eighteenth century although the spire was added in 1834 during extensive renovations overseen by Thomas Cobden. Cobden was also responsible for the design and building of the Scots Church on the Athy Road. This opened for worship in 1819 to serve the Presbyterian congregation in the town.
St. Clare’s Church, Graiguecullen was originally built in 1852 as St. Anne’s Church of Ireland church on the Athy Road in Carlow. In 1927 after a period of disuse the church was sold to the Catholic Parish of Graiguecullen and stone by stone the church was brought across the River Barrow and rebuilt by local company Thomas Thompson.
Finally, there are two late nineteenth-century churches in the town. The ‘Old Church’ in the grounds of St. Dympna’s Hospital, which now houses the Carlow Military Museum and the Methodist Church on the Athy Road.