Wells medieval parish church
4. Few medieval parish churches have survived in Carlow and Wells must have been one of the largest. Medieval sources refer to the parish church of Wells in 1262 and the visible remains date to this period although they have been restored in more recent times.
The east and most of the south wall survive along with the reconstructed north wall of the nave. There are two tall, narrow, round-headed lights in the south wall.
In the late-medieval or the early- modern period the nave appears to have been abandoned and a single bellcote was placed over the smaller eastern space. The chancel has a large window with dressed stone in the north wall. There is also a double piscina with canopy. The church is surrounded by an enclosed and well-maintained graveyard which is still in use today.