Nurney – An Urnaí – The Oratory
On a clear day, the views from 15. St. John’s Church of Ireland Church are magnificent, stretching across the verdant landscape of west Carlow as far as Kilkenny itself. At the end of a walled entrance avenue visitors are greeted with a small but well proportioned single cell stone church with three bays and a handsome needle spire which can be seen from afar. It was built by the Board of First Fruitsc. 1790.
There was an early monastery at Nurney but the only traces that remain are the two granite crosses. The head of one cross can be seen in the churchyard. The other, complete cross is in a private field at the back of the church.