Church of Ireland church
5. Church of Ireland church
Church of Ireland church The churchyard at Dunleckny contains the ivycoveredruins of two churches. The detached three-bay, single cell Church of Irelandwas built in the late eighteenth but abandoned in the early nineteenth century.The other church is much older. At the beginning of the thirteenth century this churchwas granted to the nunnery of Graney. The present remains consist of a rectangularstructure which is probably medieval in date.In the older church is a plaque to the memory of two eighteenth-century parish priests.It was erected by Fr. Michael Pendergast in 1810 and commemorates his uncle andgrand-uncle, both, like himself, priests of Dunleckny. This reveals a typical traditionof priesthood within Irish families.There is a private graveyard for two influential local families the Bagenals and Veseysof Dunleckney Manor in a corner of the site.Wells Church (above)Dunleckny Church and graveyard.
Open: Daily, daylight hours | Admission: Free | Parking: Yes9 Directions to the next site: Cross the road, taking an immediate turn to the left. Continue for 3km to a crossroadsand turn left. Agha Church can be viewed from a gate 100m on the left hand side of the road. Distance 3.2km.